What is going on in Old City Hall?
Arts and Culture El Dorado plans re-purpose two beautiful civic treasures on Main Street in downtown Placerville (Confidence Hall and Emigrant Jane) as cultural spaces for arts and performance, community resources, educational space, and many other possibilities that serve our community – both residents and visitors alike – while retaining their historic character, so important to Main Street and the history of Placerville.
These buildings will create a dedicated space for projects such as...
- Art installations
- Temporary “pop-up” arts projects
- Student works
- Play and poetry readings
- Film screenings
- Book signings
- Workshops, conferences, lectures
- Live music
- Other cultural activities
- Preservation of historic elements of the buildings.
- Relevant use as a vibrant presence that will enhance Downtown and serve the Placerville community.
- Sustainability in implementation, operations and maintenance.
ELEMENTS OF PROJECT:
- Exhibition Gallery
- Performance Space
- Community Flex Space
- Artist Live-Work Studios
- Arts and Culture El Dorado Offices
Before we can begin work on the inside of the buildings, several steps must be taken to ensure the stability of the historic structure.
- Asbestos abatement
- Scaffolding set-up
- Shoring and reinforcement of the south-facing wall
- Temporary wall set up in gallery space
- Painting and general touch-up
Confidence Hall and Emigrant Jane Renovation Project is made possible in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts Our Town program, and the Latrobe Fund.