Proposed Placerville Cultural District
Arts and Culture El Dorado proposes to repurpose several beautiful civic treasures on Main Street in downtown Placerville (Confidence Hall and Emigrant Jane, the old Post Office and the old Telephone Company building) as cultural spaces for arts and performance, community resources, educational space, and many other possibilities that serve our community – both residents and visitors alike – while retaining their historic character, so important to Main Street and the history of Placerville.
These buildings will create a dedicated space for projects such as...
- Art installations
- Temporary “pop-up” arts projects
- Student works
- Play readings and poetry readings
- Live music
- Film screenings
- Book signings
- Workshops, conferences, lectures
- Ag in the Classroom activities
- Culinary arts classes
- And other activities
- Preservation of historic elements of the buildings.
- Relevant use as a vibrant presence that will enhance Downtown and serve the Placerville community.
- Sustainability in implementation, operations and maintenance.
ELEMENTS OF PROJECT:
- Gallery and Performance Space
- Arts Flex Space
- Artist Studio Apartments
- Cultural Community Center
- Arts and Agriculture Building
- Arts and Culture El Dorado Offices
Planning for the Cultural District is made possible in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts' Our Town program, the Latrobe Fund, and the California Arts Council.